Izarbe ('Basque translation 'Under the Stars') is an elegant Gran Reserva Rioja from Bodegas Familia Chavarri. The wine uses Tempranillo grapes from their El Fresno vineyard in Laguardia, Rioja Alavesa, More than 75 years old with limestone-clay soils and at 750m elevation. Fermentation in stainless steel with 3 weeks' maceration and frequent pumpovers. The wine is then aged for 24 months in Allier oak barrels and a further 36 months in bottle before release.
A reflection of the savoir-faire and tradition of a great Rioja, production of this high intensity wine is limited. Bright, dark cherry red in colour with good depth and light brick rim. Intense primary aromas are fresh and harmonious, with candied red fruit and spices underscored by mineral notes. The palate brings sweet, ripe tannins, elegant balance and a harmonious, pleasantly long aftertaste. Try with lamb or beef, roasted pork, barbecue dishes, chorizo, or full flavoured hard cheeses.
Bodegas Familia Chavarri have vineyards located in Spain’s most emblematic DO appellations. They bring the tradition and wisdom of four generations, with their Rioja Alavesa winery taking pride as the oldest winery in the area. Established in 1882, their founder acquired the first number on the Rioja Alavesa Bottling Register.
|Grape:||Tempranillo-Tinta de Toro|
Intense primary aromas are fresh and harmonious, with candied red fruit and spices underscored by mineral notes. The palate brings sweet, ripe tannins, elegant balance and a harmonious, pleasantly long aftertaste.
|Wine Making Process:||Old Vines|Bottle Aged|
|Vintage Note:||From the vintages available you will be delivered the earliest or a mix depending on quantities ordered. Please leave a message in basket if you require a specific vintage|
|World Type:||Old World|
|Food Match:||Barbecue|Hard Cheese|Mature Cheese|Lamb|Beef|Pork|Charcuterie|
|Producer:||Bodegas Familia Charravi|
If you can but not essential, buy in quantities of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 12.
This greatly helps with the amount of padding needed to safely send your wine which in turn helps the environment, Win Win!
National Delivery - FREE on orders over £150
- FREE delivery on all orders over £150
- £10 delivery for orders under £150
- Order before 12pm Wednesday - Friday for same working day despatch
- We are currently not despatching orders Monday & Tuesday when the shop is closed
- Despatched via Parcel Force Next Working day delivery
- Track your order via text or email
Click & Collect - FREE
- Order ready to collect after 1 hour from order time
- Collect Wednesday-Saturday 12-7pm and Sunday 12-6pm
- Note Shop is closed Monday & Tuesday
Local Delivery - Free on orders over £100
- £5 delivery for orders under £100
- 2 mile radius from the shop, if you are within the radius you will be given the local delivery option at checkout.
- A member of the team will be in touch to book a slot for your delivery