As the wine that was the inspiration for Turton Wines' founding, Georgian wine continues to have unrivalled breadth. Widely acknowledged as the origin of wine as we know it, Georgia began production over 8,000 years ago and has sites of ancient winemaking with protected status from UNESCO. Famed for their ancient Qvevri winemaking method and the ability to not only produce superb red, white and orange dry wines, but superb and quintessentially Georgian semi-sweet wines of all types.
Tbilvino present a their orange Rkatsiteli Qvevris wine, made according to the ancient method of fermenting with skins and stems in traditional qvevri: a large subterranean clay jar. This traditional wine is not pressed off the skins until 6 months after primary fermentation. The extended skin contact gives it an appealing amber/ orange colour and characteristics of a white and red wine. Deep and rich aromas of pine, pear and quince jump out of the glass. The palate shows flavours quince, apple and stewed fruit. Try with grilled or barbecued meats and vegetables, spicy dishes or full cheeseboards.
Tbilvino were established in 1962 and are a leading producer of Georgian wines. Their main winery and vineyards are rest in the foothills of the Caucasus Mountains in Kakheti overlooking the fertile Alazani River Valley, with a second winery in the capital, Tbilisi (Kartli). Their team of experienced winemakers and a mix of modern and traditional fermentation methods allow them to create a wide range of wine styles.
Many Georgian wines source grapes from small family vineyards, so ingrained in culture that they are a strong part of family heritage. There are several wine regions that hold 18 Specific Viticultural Areas held in high regard, with careful monitoring and low yields. The ancient Qvevri method is still in wide use and is a key part of orange wine production.
An orange wine showing characteristics of both white and red wine. Deep and rich aromas of pine, pear and quince jump out of the glass. The palate shows flavours quince, apple and stewed fruit.
|Wine Making Process:||Qvevri|
|Vintage:||2019 / 2020|
|Vintage Note:||From the vintages available you will be delivered the earliest or a mix depending on quantities ordered. Please leave a message in basket if you require a specific vintage|
|World Type:||Old World|
|Food Match:||Barbecue|Roast vegetables|Beef|Lamb|Pork|Chicken|Curry|Cheese|
If you can but not essential, buy in quantities of 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 12.
This greatly helps with the amount of padding needed to safely send your wine which in turn helps the environment, Win Win!
National Delivery - FREE on orders over £150
- FREE delivery on all orders over £150
- £10 delivery for orders under £150
- Order before 12pm Wednesday - Friday for same working day despatch
- We are currently not despatching orders Monday & Tuesday when the shop is closed
- Despatched via Parcel Force Next Working day delivery
- Track your order via text or email
Click & Collect - FREE
- Order ready to collect after 1 hour from order time
- Collect Wednesday-Saturday 12-7pm and Sunday 12-6pm
- Note Shop is closed Monday & Tuesday
Local Delivery - Free on orders over £100
- £5 delivery for orders under £100
- 2 mile radius from the shop, if you are within the radius you will be given the local delivery option at checkout.
- A member of the team will be in touch to book a slot for your delivery