This premium organic Primitivo red from Cantine Paolo Leo uses grapes from the clay soils of the Brindisi province, southern Puglia. Pre-harvest withering (a unique Apassimento technique called 'Il giro del Picciolo') is applied which induces natural drying of the vines for 12 days, losing liquids and concentrating flavours and aromas. Manual mid-August harvest follows, before controlled fermentation with frequent pumping and delestage increasing aromas and softening tannins. Once racked, the wine undergoes malolactic fermentation for 6 months in second-use American oak barrels and 6 months in stainless steel tanks.
This attention to detail results in a deep ruby red wine with pronounced ripe cherry and black cherry aromas alongside spicy notes, hints of coconut and chocolate. All these elements contribute to the complex, layered flavours of the palate, alongside well structured body, smooth tannins and a lingering finish of ripe forest fruits. Try with tomato sauce dishes, red meat and game, well-seasoned risotto, mushrooms, charcuterie or mature cheeses.
The Paolo Leo line represents the history and hard work of a family that more than thirty years ago decided to launch its first bottles on the market, with an international reputation following soon after. Wines reflect their passion and taste with vineyards located in the heart of the Negroamaro Park, with predominantly clay-limestone soils. Cellars are located in Salice Salentino DOC and Primitivo di Manduria DOC, and are equipped with state of the art vinification systems. Most wines use organic-certified farming methods.
Organic and suitable for Vegetarians & Vegans
Pronounced ripe cherry and black cherry aromas alongside spicy notes, hints of coconut and chocolate. All these elements contribute to the complex, layered flavours of the palate, alongside well structured body, smooth tannins and a lingering finish of ripe forest fruits.
|Wine Making Process:||Appassimento|
|World Type:||Old World|
|Food Match:||Pasta|Beef|Lamb|Game|Risotto|Charcuterie|Mushroom|Mature Cheese|
- FREE delivery on all orders over £100
- £8 delivery for orders under £100
- Order before 12pm for same working day despatch
- Despatched via Parcel Force Next Working day delivery
- Track your order via text or email
Click & Collect - FREE
- Order ready to collect after 1 hour from order time
- Collect Monday-Saturday 12-7.30pm and Sunday 12-6pm
- If the shop is full (we have limited numbers due to Covid) just ring the bell on the side gate for a quick pick up
- FREE delivery on all orders over £50
- £4 for orders under £50
- Delivery available to customers living in postcodes - BL1, BL22, BL23, BL24, & BL7
- Select your delivery slot from available dates & time in basket
Paolo Leo Organic Passitivo Primitivo