As the wine that was the inspiration for Turton Wines' founding, Georgian wine continues to have unrivalled breadth. Widely acknowledged as the origin of wine as we know it, Georgia began production over 8,000 years ago and has sites of ancient winemaking with protected status from UNESCO. Famed for their ancient Qvevri winemaking method and the ability to not only produce superb red, white and orange dry wines, but superb and quintessentially Georgian semi-sweet wines of all types.
Tbilvino present their Gold Trophy Champion at the 2020 International Wine Challenge. An excellent example of the most popular native red grape in Georgia, this Saperavi uses carefully hand selected grapes. Deep ruby colour with good depth, complexity, and an authentic local character. Aromas of coffee, cinnamon and vanilla overlay black fruit, particularly blackberry. On the palate, it displays typical Saperavi notes of cassis and a hint of liquorice, along with good acidity and tannin grip. Try with hearty winter soups and stews, barbecue dishes, lamb kebabs or pizza.
Tbilvino were established in 1962 and are a leading producer of Georgian wines. Their main winery and vineyards are rest in the foothills of the Caucasus Mountains in Kakheti overlooking the fertile Alazani River Valley, with a second winery in the capital, Tbilisi (Kartli). Their team of experienced winemakers and a mix of modern and traditional fermentation methods allow them to create a wide range of wine styles.
Many Georgian wines source grapes from small family vineyards, so ingrained in culture that they are a strong part of family heritage. There are several wine regions that hold 18 Specific Viticultural Areas held in high regard, with careful monitoring and low yields. The ancient Qvevri method is still in wide use. Qvevri are large clay pots, buried underground to their necks for perfect fermentation and ageing temperature, often with skins and stems for full concentration. This method is a key part of orange wine production.
Aromas of coffee, cinnamon and vanilla overlay black fruit, particularly blackberry. On the palate, it displays typical Saperavi notes of cassis and a hint of liquorice, along with good acidity and tannin grip.
|World Type:||Old World|
- FREE delivery on all orders over £100
- £8 delivery for orders under £100
- Order before 12pm for same working day despatch
- Despatched via Parcel Force Next Working day delivery
- Track your order via text or email
Click & Collect - FREE
- Order ready to collect after 1 hour from order time
- Collect Monday-Saturday 12-7.30pm and Sunday 12-6pm
- If the shop is full (we have limited numbers due to Covid) just ring the bell on the side gate for a quick pick up
- FREE delivery on all orders over £50
- £4 for orders under £50
- Delivery available to customers living in postcodes - BL1, BL22, BL23, BL24, & BL7
- Select your delivery slot from available dates & time in basket