As the wine that was the inspiration for Turton Wines' founding, Georgian wine continues to have unrivalled breadth. Widely acknowledged as the origin of wine as we know it, Georgia began production over 8,000 years ago and has sites of ancient winemaking with protected status from UNESCO. Famed for their ancient Qvevri winemaking method and the ability to not only produce superb red, white and orange dry wines, but superb and quintessentially Georgian semi-sweet wines of all types.
One of Georgia's most well-regarded controlled appellations, wines from Mukuzani on the banks of the Alazani River typically undergo longer ageing in oak barrels to add depth and complexity and it is here that Saperavi (the most popular native red grape in Georgia) reaches its pinnacle. This Tbilvino Mukuzani is no exception and shows aromas of black cherry, dark chocolate with a sprinkling of vanilla and spice. There’s generous ripe mouth-filling fruit on the palate, with notes of damson and black treacle, followed by robust tannins. Try with pan fried steak, venison, aubergine dishes, mature cheddar or smoke cheeses.
Tbilvino were established in 1962 and are a leading producer of Georgian wines. Their main winery and vineyards are rest in the foothills of the Caucasus Mountains in Kakheti overlooking the fertile Alazani River Valley, with a second winery in the capital, Tbilisi (Kartli). Their team of experienced winemakers and a mix of modern and traditional fermentation methods allow them to create a wide range of wine styles.
Many Georgian wines source grapes from small family vineyards, so ingrained in culture that they are a strong part of family heritage. There are several wine regions that hold 18 Specific Viticultural Areas held in high regard, with careful monitoring and low yields. The ancient Qvevri method is still in wide use. Qvevri are large clay pots, buried underground to their necks for perfect fermentation and ageing temperature, often with skins and stems for full concentration. This method is a key part of orange wine production.
Aromas of black cherry, dark chocolate with a sprinkling of vanilla and spice. There’s generous ripe mouth-filling fruit on the palate, with notes of damson and black treacle, followed by robust tannins.
|Appearance:||Ruby & Purple Hues|
|World Type:||Old World|
|Food Match:||Beef|Lamb|Aubergine|Mature Cheese|Smoked Cheese|
- FREE delivery on all orders over £100
- £8 delivery for orders under £100
- Order before 12pm for same working day despatch
- Despatched via Parcel Force Next Working day delivery
- Track your order via text or email
Click & Collect - FREE
- Order ready to collect after 1 hour from order time
- Collect Monday-Saturday 12-7.30pm and Sunday 12-6pm
- If the shop is full (we have limited numbers due to Covid) just ring the bell on the side gate for a quick pick up
- FREE delivery on all orders over £50
- £4 for orders under £50
- Delivery available to customers living in postcodes - BL1, BL22, BL23, BL24, & BL7
- Select your delivery slot from available dates & time in basket