Koncho & Co Mtsvane
As the wine that was the inspiration for Turton Wines' founding, Georgian wine continues to have unrivalled breadth. Widely acknowledged as the origin of wine as we know it, Georgia began production over 8,000 years ago and has sites of ancient winemaking with protected status from UNESCO. Famed for their ancient Qvevri winemaking method and the ability to not only produce superb red, white and orange dry wines, but superb and quintessentially Georgian semi-sweet wines of all types.
Koncho & Co use the exciting and unique Mtsvane grape from vineyards in the Kakheti region. Often used to soften and add aromas in blends, this varietal shows an inviting nose of apple blossom and acacia. The dry, yet full and weighty palate brings notes of poached pear, honey and a lingering, crisp finish. Try with light fish, chicken salads, mushroom and creamy pasta dishes, or light soft cheeses.
Koncho & Co. is run by the Konchoshvili family, with the name reflecting their longstanding integration between church, family, and winemaking. Their wine cellar dates back to 1737, founded by a Konchoshvili ancestor who was winemaker to the Kakhetian King. Vineyards located 405m above sea level combined with a wealth of expertise have made Koncho and Co gain wide recognition for their cultivation of rare, indigenous grape varietals.
Many Georgian wines source grapes from small family vineyards, so ingrained in culture that they are a strong part of family heritage. There are several wine regions that hold 18 Specific Viticultural Areas held in high regard, with careful monitoring and low yields. The ancient Qvevri method is still in wide use. Qvevri are large clay pots, buried underground to their necks for perfect fermentation and ageing temperature, often with skins and stems for full concentration. This method is a key part of orange wine production.
Inviting nose of apple blossom and acacia. The dry, yet full and weighty palate brings notes of poached pear, honey and a lingering, crisp finish.
|World Type:||Old World|
|Food Match:||Fish|Chicken|Salad|Mushroom|Pasta|Soft Cheese|
|Producer:||Koncho & Co|
- FREE delivery on all orders over £100
- £8 delivery for orders under £100
- Order before 12pm for same working day despatch
- Despatched via Parcel Force Next Working day delivery
- Track your order via text or email
Click & Collect - FREE
- Order ready to collect after 1 hour from order time
- Collect Monday-Saturday 12-7.30pm and Sunday 12-6pm
- If the shop is full (we have limited numbers due to Covid) just ring the bell on the side gate for a quick pick up
- FREE delivery on all orders over £50
- £4 for orders under £50
- Delivery available to customers living in postcodes - BL1, BL22, BL23, BL24, & BL7
- Select your delivery slot from available dates & time in basket